Pinterest Perfect House


Sometimes I have compared the many different homes I’ve lived in to other people’s homes. 

I have scratches on my used dining room table, mismatched furniture, and used furniture in my home. In year 16 of our marriage we finally have some matching furniture. We chose not to go into debt to purchase things like that. And it gave our home a unique style. 

A lot of the places we lived we rented so we could never paint the walls. I have lived in rental houses with brown paneling on the walls...But I loved it because it was in a beautiful vineyard and cow pasture with an old barn behind it and it had a beautiful view. I could sit at my vanity in the bedroom and look out and see the vineyard. That was the home that we had our first and only garden. That was the home that I learned how to can tomatoes in. 

When we lived in the single wide trailer we began a worldwide ministry. We didn’t have a big house to take care of or a big yard to take care of so we started a ministry! God taught me many lessons living there. How to be content and happy when you are poor as dirt! 

When I am tempted to compare my homes with other perfect gray houses with no clutter on the counters , no books laying around, no toys laying around, no messes anywhere....I remind myself that I am a homeschooling Mom. I have books laying around so we can learn from them. I have messes and toys and clutter on the counters and tables because my kids are home all day and they are learning, reading, writing, playing and growing. I have to remind myself that it’s ok to have a house full of “clutter” if it’s helping my children. One day when they all move out my home may look a little different. 

I’m the first to tell you I like a clean and organized home with a place for everything...but I also have 4 boys and a husband. So I am constantly picking up after everyone and trying to teach them how to pick up after themselves so their wives will be happy when they get married. But it’s not worth it for me to get mad at the boys over wanting a clean home or a tidy home. They should not feel punished if something is out of place. They should have the freedom to come in and relax because they are home. 

A friend of mine does a great job of making a house feel like a home. She lights candles and bakes things and decorates for each season. You just feel warm and cozy when you are in her house. You kind of forget about everything else outside. That’s what our home should feel like. A place of escape and refuge from the crazy world. How do you make your house a home? It doesn’t have to be picture perfect. It doesn’t have to match or be up with the times. 

You can get creative to do this and even make your own home decor! Lighting a candle goes a long way. Sights and sounds make a big difference. Have music playing softly in the background. Have a snack on the counter or fruit in a bowl. And be content where you are. Whether you live in a shack or a mansion, make it your home sweet home. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unseen Abuse

Not how I planned it...