Journey to Motherhood

My parents had 4 children and Iʼm the oldest. That meant I had to babysit my siblings a lot. I wasnʼt what you would consider a “baby person” although I loved my cute baby brother that is 12 years younger than me. I used to say I wanted 6 kids. Then I kind of forgot about that when I was in high school and college. I became more focused on myself and my plans. Maybe more self- centered? I still thought I was a godly good Christian girl though.

One plan I had was to be a cheerleader at The University of Georgia.  I never thought Iʼd move away and I had cheered all throughout middle and high school.

Plans changed and the Lord led me to a small Bible College that didnʼt have cheerleaders but I met my husband there.

I got on birth control right before we got married because “thatʼs what most people do”. A few months into marriage my hubby and I were driving our huge maroon Aerostar van and he looked in the back of the empty van and said lovingly, “Just think, one day there will be our kids back there.” I started crying. Not happy tears either. It wasnʼt the response he expected.

Truthfully I was scared to death to experience pregnancy and give birth and be a Mom. I was only 20 and felt like a kid myself.
There was a couple at our church that began teaching us about the dangers of birth control and God began dealing with our hearts to give control to Him . I didnʼt immediately surrender to the Lord. It took time. Finally I read a verse in Proverbs 29:1 that said:

“He, that being often reproved hardeneth his neck, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy.”
I feared the Lord enough to obey!

I threw away the birth control pills and got pregnant with our oldest son a few months later. I was scared the first 5 months I was pregnant but then the Lord brought people to minister to me and I read books and verses that helped increase my faith and combat fear. (Supernatural Childbirth, The Lord of Birth, Ina Mayʼs Guide to Natural Childbirth, Mama Naturals Book)





I ended up having 3 all natural , supernatural childbirths and a fourth childbirth that I had to be induced and got an epidural so I could sleep and rest.

Motherhood is amazing. You experience a gamut of emotions being a mother. You watch your body change as a miracle of another body grows inside you. You fall in love with your spouse again. You watch your family grow together with each new arrival.

Be fruitful and multiply and fear not. He is with you if you know Him.

Happy (early) Motherʼs Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unseen Abuse

Pinterest Perfect House

Not how I planned it...