How to Train Responses in Children

My six month old baby was happily playing near the kitchen where I was cooking when I turned the loud blender on. I made it a point to look at him as I turned it on. As he heard the loud sound he immediately looked up like a dog perks his ears up when he hears a strange sound. But before he had a chance to cry I smiled at him and he immediately smiled and stayed happy.

The same principle works when your child falls down and scrapes their knee or stubs their toe. If you dramatically scream and run to them and make a big deal about it then they will cry and carry on every time they get hurt. If you calmly assess the situation and walk to them quietly then they will remain calm.

My husband is so good at that because thatʼs how his Dad trained him. I think this is especially important for boys. We have four boys who are rough and tumble and have lots of scrapes and bruises from playing hard.

I think Moms have a harder time with not freaking out over things than Dads. Just know that how you respond is training your children to respond that same way.

As your children get older they may stumble in sin and mess up and start to tell you and you donʼt need to freak out and lecture them. You need to be quiet and listen. And keep listening. And pray and ask God for wisdom in how to handle it.

You want your children to come to you to tell you things. Guard your responses.

If you want your kids to smile, smile at them during the day.

It works negatively too. My kids are sometimes afraid of the same things Iʼm afraid of.

If your child pitches a fit and pouts and screams then I guess itʼs time to get the rod (aka the belt) out for an old fashioned spanking. Itʼs sad these days to see kids control their parents. Letʼs change that.

Be a healthy reflection to your children and train them to respond in healthy ways.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unseen Abuse

Pinterest Perfect House

Not how I planned it...