1. Pray, thank the Lord and ask Him for wisdom and understanding.
2. Read James 1:22. What happens to you if you only hear the Word and do not do it? What can you be sure to do so that you are not deceived?
3. Read James 1:23-25. The Bible is the mirror and the perfect law of liberty. Liberty is freedom. Christ came to set us free, not put us in bondage. Sin is what puts us in bondage. What happens if we continue looking into the perfect law, the Bible, and doing what is says? Give some examples of how sin can put you or others in bondage and slavery.
4. Read James 1:26. What does it mean to bridle your tongue? Define the word bridle. What is our religion if we do not bridle our tongue? Define the word vain.
5. Why do you think it is hard sometimes to control our tongue and what we say? A good prayer to pray daily is that the Lord will set a guard over your mouth everyday. Read Psalm 19:14. Do you think that what you think about and meditate on determines what comes out of your mouth?
6. “Garbage in, garbage out” means that whatever you put in your heart and mind through music, radio, tv, movies, books and magazines, church and the Bible will come out in your life. Do you agree? What types of things do you put in your heart/mind on a daily basis? Do you see those things influence your life at all?
7. Read James 1:27. What do you think pure religion is? What does this verse say pure religion is? Often the orphans and widows are forgotten. Try to make it a point to reach out to a widow you know this month somehow. Just to stop by and say hello means a lot to them.
8. What does it mean to keep your self unspotted from the world? (James 1:27) Read Isaiah 1:16-17. How does this verse relate to James 1:27?
9. Read Romans 12:2. This is one of my favorite verses. We are to keep ourselves unspotted from the world and not let this world conform us. What does the word conform mean? You can use your dictionary. Instead we are to be transformed by what? What does transform mean in the dictionary? Why do we need to be transformed?
10. Read Matthew 25:35-40. As you read these verses think about your life and when you have done the things it mentions, like feeding the hungry, etc. When we serve the poor, hungry, homeless, sick and lowly people we serve the Lord Jesus. These types of people can’t pay you back or make you popular. They are just in need. Colossians 3:23-24 says, “And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men: Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.” Keep this verse in mind as you serve the Lord Jesus this week!