Life's Passing

We had to make an unexpected trip to Georgia last weekend because my husbands grandmother died.  She was 87 years old.  Her name was Elizabeth Mason.  She lived with my husbands parents for the last 10 months of her life.  Before that she lived in an assisted living home.  I can't imagine what it must be like to grow old.  Today is my birthday and I am only 29...however, all week I have been freaking out about being almost 30!  Then I remind myself that that is NOT old at all, right? ;)

I was wondering today how people grow old with grace.  You meet people who grow old and never complain about it.  They are a joy to be around and full of wisdom.  Growing old must be difficult because there are so many changes in every way.  The way you look and feel and sometimes where you live even changes.  I can't imagine having to leave the house that you called home year after year.  And being dependent on other people to help you do everyday things like bathing.  Yet Grandma Mason was not bitter or upset or angry.  She just sat in that chair and looked out the window.  She would read or watch movies and talk.  She listened to Pops sing and play the guitar.  Grandma (Elizabeth) would call Pops "King David" and he called her "Queen Elizabeth".  My husband would often call her and get the updates on all the cousins and she knew what everybody was into.  The night before she died she told Pops that she was tired of living this way.  She closed her eyes in sleep after her daughter kissed her goodnight and then she woke up in heaven without a struggle.  The Bible says that the death of saints is precious to God.  


 

Her memorial service was sweet as her two grandsons preached and sang and her son-in-law (my husbands father) preached. 


It is sad and we will miss her but I know where she is now...in a REAL place called Heaven that you can only get to through Jesus.  Jesus says, "I am the way, the truth and the life, no man cometh to the Father but by me" John 14:6

This life is short, be sure where you are going when you die.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unseen Abuse

Pinterest Perfect House

Not how I planned it...