Carrots and French Toast

I wanted to update you on my new adventure in the kitchen...hiding veggies in our food!  I am using the book/cookbook called Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. 

So far I have hidden carrots (pureed) in french toast, cauliflower in mashed potatoes, and carrots in muffins.  Everyone, kids and hubby alike, all said that the french toast tasted the best ever!  The recipe was so yummy and it had carrots in it! Wow!  Who would've thought to put carrots in french toast!?  The cauliflower mashed potatoes were wonderful as well and you could only taste the potatoes!  The muffins has peanut butter and jelly in them as well as carrot puree so they were creamy and I did not let them cool long enough so mine were mushy on the inside (but still good).  After I let the rest of them cool they were more "sturdy".  Here is a picture of the PBJ muffins we had today...


It doesn't look the prettiest but I wanted you to see the jelly in the middle.  I use whole grain flour which makes 'em brown:)  My husband even liked these and he's not really a muffin man.  No pun intended...


I am LOVING this whole food adventure with whole food!  It is so much fun (minus the dirty dishes).  I have spent tons of time in the kitchen making a TON of purees.  I have pureed (with the loving help of my kind, sweet, loving husband:0) broccoli, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, squash and zucchini.  Some of which we have already used and the rest is in my freezer in small freezer bags.  I put half a cup of puree in each bag and labeled it with the date and type and quantity of food.  It just makes me feel so good inside knowing I am doing this for the health and benefit of my family.  Cause some people, especially kids, just don't like to eat their vegetables.  (I used to be one of 'em until I got married 8 years ago and expanded my palate!)  Now I enjoy eating a variety of foods but I still was not getting my share of vegetables everyday.  I love knowing that as I ate my creamy mashed potatoes I was also getting a serving of cauliflower with it.  (And, for those of you who know me I am the Sloooooooooooowest eater ever...so this helps me eat more faster too haha:)!!  There are just benefits all around with this!

So, if you are not a veggie lover or eater, try this.  Start with the mashed potatoes and add half a cup of cooked (preferably steamed) and pureed (in a blender or food processor) cauliflower (it looks like white broccoli if you're wondering, and broccoli looks like little green trees...veggies are so much fun:))

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unseen Abuse

Pinterest Perfect House

Not how I planned it...