Butternut Squash and Chicken Curry Stew


As some of you know, I like to eat healthy as much as possible.  I used to spend a lot of time researching natural health before I had three kids.  I still remember a lot of what I read and I try to stay refreshed through weekly emails from Dr. Mercola (drmercola.com) and reading other material on health and wellness.  I knew that one important thing to do was to eat locally grown organic food.  Well, we moved to Kentucky from Georgia about a year ago so I had to get reacquainted with where the farmer's markets were, etc.  We had been shopping mostly at Kroger and Aldi's and had slacked off on our healthy diet.  As I was pushing my buggy (or grocery cart, whatever you call it)  it was full of "food" from the grocery store that I knew was not the healthy, organic locally grown food we needed.  I said a quick prayer to the Lord asking Him to show me where and how to eat healthier where we lived.  In a week or so we got invited to a healthy eating feast by some new homeschooling friends.  It was there that I met a sweet couple who has an organic sustainable farm.  I was able to join their vegetable coop and buy good local food for our family:)  God is so good and He cares about what you care about.  I take everything to the Lord in prayer!  Anyway, I got this recipe off their blog and made it with the organic squash...oh so yummy!  I had to share it with you for you to try!


Butternut Squash and Chicken Curry Stew
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed1 small onion, finely diced
1-2 lbs chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks

24-32 ounces organic chicken broth, low sodium (depends on how thick you like your stew)
1 large or two small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes

3/4 cup orange juice
2 tsp yellow curry powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp brown sugar

½ cup raisins

-Heat olive oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven.  Cook onions and garlic until slightly browned then add chicken and cook thoroughly but don’t let it get dry or burn.

-Pour broth over chicken, and then add butternut squash.  Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour (or turn it on low and leave it for a LONG time). 
-When the squash is very tender and a few pieces have fallen apart, remove ½ cup of the liquid and combine with remaining ingredients in a small bowl.  Whisk together thoroughly and return to the Dutch oven.

-Continue to simmer for about 20 minutes, remove from heat and serve.

Optional
- stirring in 1-2 cups of chopped kale, tatsoi, or spinach when you add the cubed squash is a great way to boost the nutritional value of this stew and it’s delicious.  I always do this if I have greens on hand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unseen Abuse

Pinterest Perfect House

Not how I planned it...