Striving vs Abiding

Recently I've been reading My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers.  He died in 1917 at the age of 43, but his writings live on and glorify God.  My Utmost consists of short daily devotionals that his wife compiled from his lectures and talks at Bible Colleges and other places.  They are all very thought provoking.  I have read through this whole devotional numerous times as a teenager, college student and now as an adult.  It always challenges and convicts me.  I think my parents bought it for me years ago and had my name engraved on it (my maiden name). 


Today's devotion had a quote that I wanted to share with you.  "All I do should be based on a perfect oneness with Him, not on a self-willed determination to be godly."  He quoted Matthew 11:29, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." 

A lot of times I get caught up in what other people think about me or my ministry or how godly I am or should be!!  Ha, how silly and prideful!  A lot of times I try really hard to be perfect and pleasing to God and others...I try to be a good preacher's wife, a good home schooling Mom, a wise friend, etc.  All of that can be SO exhausting if I am doing it in my own strength.  

God calls us to rest in Him and abide in Him...He says to trust Him and HE will do it (Psalm 37).  He says to acknowledge Him and HE will direct your path (Proverbs 3:5-6).

Ahhhhh, it feels so good to be reminded of that!  I can quit striving and start abiding.  Abiding IN Christ.  Enjoy Jesus.  Enjoy and appreciate what He did for you on the Cross at Calvary.  Thank Him for it, it is His will for you to be thankful.  Worship Him and praise Him and you will find yourself IN His presence!  Quit striving and start abiding!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unseen Abuse

Pinterest Perfect House

Not how I planned it...