Does this make me a redneck?

Before I got married I didn't know much about hunting, raising chickens, or cooking deer meat.  Now I love watching our chickens roam the yard, and I love the fresh eggs.  I'm so used to eating deer meat that I forget to ask our guests if they mind eating it.  

It is getting more popular now to buy organic, free range or antibiotic free chicken, eggs and meat.  We know that they are healthier for our bodies.  It's one thing to buy an organic chicken from the store, it's another thing to watch your 4 and 6 year old cut the head off the chicken that was in your yard and then cook it and eat it.

    The other day my four year old came in crying and said the rooster had pecked him and it hurt.  My hubby commenced to pick up the rooster, sling it down to kill it and then cleaned it (or whatever you call it to get it ready to cook).  He put it in a bag in the fridge and I cooked it the next day.

Does that make me a redneck?  Or just a normal person?  People used to raise and butcher their own meat all the time.  I'm still getting used to it.  You should've seen the look on my Mom's face when I told her the story.  She is proper!  

The chicken was good, healthy, and antibiotic free!  Think about where your food comes from.  I recommend watching the movie Food, Inc.

 

Comments

  1. LOL! I think whether or not you're a redneck depends on who you ask. ;) I don't think so. I'd love to raise chickens b/c of the very reasons you stated. I try not to think about what's in my food. *shudder* But we try to do the best we can to avoid all the GMO's & chemical-filled foods. I thought you were gonna say John "slung" ("slinged"??) the chicken around & around to break its neck. That's what my mamaw used to talk about. Apparently, there was an art to it. *sheesh!* :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Unseen Abuse

Pinterest Perfect House

Not how I planned it...